African American Representation in TV:Positive or Negative:





How to get away with murder is a negative and positive representation of African Americans.  Viola Davis is the main character if the show.  She is a hardworking lawyer that puts everyone before herself. In most African American communities its usually the mothers that assume the role of father and mothers.  They always put others over themselves.  But you can see in history that’s how it’s always been that way. Black women have never got the recognition they deserved even when they work harder than men.  In How to Get Away with Murder you see that Annalise must work above and beyond and even when does work hard its always overshadowed with the problems of other people.  The positive representation of this show is that Annalise is a hard worker then everybody and that she’s the best in her field to do it.  The negative representation of this show is that it makes it seem like Annalise life isn’t good unless someone’s in her life making a better or making her happy and they highlight that part of her life a lot.  That’s one thing I dislike about the show.  Black women are strong their own two feet.


Comments

About Me

My name is Nana Kwadwo Agyare Yeboah, I was born in Kumasi, Ghana in 1996 and moved to Los Angeles, CA when I was 4. I am a senior advertising major, history minor. At a young age I always knew that I wanted to enter the entertainment field but never exactly knew what part of entertainment. But once I got older I started to lean towards the music direction. The music industry has always been a field where you can be successful in other parts besides being an actual artist. When I found this out, I knew I found something I would love. I've always been the type of person that wanted to know how any business ran behind the scenes. It's usually the people behind the scenes that the decisions. After being at Howard University for the past 4 and a half years I figured out once I graduate college I want to work for a record label and later down my life creates and run my own independent label. I've already began on the steps needed to get to that next step. Only time will tell. This class will give me more insight into how media really is controlled and ran.


Objectives

By the end the course students will be able to:

1. ACCESS Find and use media and technology tools skillfully and share appropriate and relevant information with others

2. ANALYZE & EVALUATE Comprehend messages and use critical thinking to analyze message quality, veracity, credibility, and point of view, while considering potential effects or consequences of messages

3. CREATE Compose or generate content using creativity and confidence in self-expression, with awareness of purpose, audience, and composition techniques

4. REFLECT Apply social responsibility and ethical principles to one’s own identity and lived experience, communication behavior and conduct

5. ACT Work individually and collaboratively to share knowledge and solve problems in the family, the workplace and the community, and participate as a member of a community at local, regional, national and international levels.

-- Digital and Media Literacy (2011), Renee Hobbs.